Community College Transfer Courses

Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer (ASSIST)

Students who wish to take courses at a community college during the summer or school year or students who have attended a California Community College and are trying to determine transferable coursework can use the ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) website for help. You can get more information about exactly what ASSIST is and how to use it at the ASSIST-Help for Students website. The ASSIST website will tell you if the course you plan to enroll in will fulfill breadth or major requirements at UCI .

It is the student's responsibility to know if you have already taken a course either at UCI or another community college which is the same course as the one in which you wish to enroll at the Community College. If you enroll in a duplicate course, you will NOT receive credit (unit or otherwise) for the new course.

When you have completed your coursework, it is your responsibility to have all transcripts sent to UCI Admissions. After the transcripts have been received by the Admissions Office, they will be evaluated and copies will be forwarded to the School of Social Ecology.

Remember that community and junior college courses are offered on the "lower-division" level and cannot be used to fulfill upper-division major requirements. There is a maximum of 105 quarter units (70 semester units) that can be transferred to UCI from a community college.

If you are planning to attend a four-year college for summer session work, please consult with an Academic Counselor prior to your enrollment. Upon completion of your course(s), have the transcript sent to the UCI Admissions Office.

Credit for the last 36 quarter units of work immediately preceding graduation must be earned in residence at the UCI campus. If you are planning to attend a community college and/or enroll in courses within your last 36 units at UCI, you must submit a petition to waive your the UCI Residency Requirement. Use the instructions below to find:

Courses to fulfill UCI Breadth/General Education Requirements

  1. Go to
  2. In the "Explore Transfer Information" section, click the arrow on the right activating the drop-down menu. Select the Community College you attended.
  3. Once the screen changes, select the school year you attended (e.g. 15-16).
  4. In the "Agreements with other Campuses" section, click the arrow on the right activating the drop-down menu. Select UCI from the list of schools you are transferring to.
  5. In the "For General Education/Breadth"" section, click the arrow on the right activating the drop-down menu. Select "General Education/Breadth".
  6. Choose what area you wish to fulfill by selecting the appropriate sequence. See an academic counselor for fulfilling the remaining part of a sequence you have already started.