Enrollment

How do I add, drop, or change my grade option and what are deadlines to add, drop or change my grade option?
How many units may I take Pass/No Pass?
Where can I go to get an Athletic Planning Guide?
How do I determine my class level?
What is a student record hold?
How can I receive part-time status?
What is the Withdrawal/Cancellation Form?
How can I get readmitted back to UCI?
Can I be considered for admission to a program for a second degree for the School of Social Ecology?

Graduation

How and when do I apply to graduate?
How are academic honors at graduation (also known as Latin Honors) determined?
Are academic honors reflected on my official records?
Where can I go to find commencement information?
What is a Degree Verification Letter and how do I request one?
Where can I find information on graduate programs?

Course Information

If I have taken Statistics, can I waive SE13?
What is the difference between SE198 (Directed Studies) and SE199 (Special Studies)?
Can I take classes at a community college?
How do I petition to waive a course?
How do I petition to take a course at a community college?

GPA and Grading Information

What is academic dishonesty?
What is my UC GPA?
How do I calculate my GPA?
What is the Dean's Honor List?
What is academic standing?
What is academic probation?
What is an "Incomplete"?
What is "P/NP"?
What does "IP" stand for on my transcript?
What does "NR" stand for and what do I do if I receive this as a grade?
What does "UR" stand for on my transcript?
What is a "W" (Withdrawal) and how does it affect my GPA?
When can I repeat a course?

Enrollment

How do I add, drop, or change my grade option and what are the deadlines to add, drop or change my grade option?
You may make these changes on WebReg up to the deadlines. The deadline to DROP a course is the Friday of Week 2 at 5 p.m. The deadline to CHANGE THE GRADE OPTION is the Friday of Week 2 at 5 p.m. The deadline to ADD a course is Friday of Week 2 at 5 p.m.

How many units may I take Pass/No Pass?
No more than an average of four units per quarter per the number of quarters in residence at UCI. School and major requirements must be taken for a letter grade.

Student-athletes, please call the Office of Student Services to schedule an advance appointment with Maria Spangenberg.

How do I determine my class level?
Your class level is determined by the number of units you have completed as follows:

Freshman = 0.0 - 44.9
Sophomore = 45.0 - 89.9
Junior = 90.0 - 134.9
Senior = 135.0+

What is a student record hold?
This is a hold placed on a student's record by certain offices (e.g., academic counseling offices, Office of Admissions). A "soft" hold will allow the student to enroll in classes via WebReg, and pay fees but will drop students out of enrolled classes if the hold is not removed by the registration deadline. A "hard" hold may prevent registration in the following quarter. WebReg will inform the student which office has placed the hold. That office must remove the hold before the student enrolls in classes.

How can I apply for part-time status?
This is granted by the academic unit for reasons of occupation (>30 hrs/wk), health (illness), or family responsibility. Fees include full university registration fee and one-half the education fee. Enrollment is limited to 10 units or less per quarter.

What is the Withdrawal/Cancellation form?
The Withdrawal/Cancellation (W/C) form is used when a student wishes to discontinue enrollment in a quarter for which they have already paid fees. Do not stop payment on the check used to pay registration fees in lieu of filing the W/C form. By obtaining appropriate signatures, this form serves two purposes: 1) a refund of fees, if applicable; and 2) automatic withdrawal from classes.

How can I get readmitted back to UCI?
Readmission into a major or academic department is subject to academic unit approval and campus deadlines. A $70 non-refundable application fee and good academic standing (upon leaving) are required. Please refer to the University's General Catalogue for more information.

Currently, the School of Social Ecology is not accepting Second Baccalaureates. To find a list of schools and majors within UCI that is currently accepting, please visit Admission's website.

Graduation

How and when do I apply to graduate?
You may apply to graduate by submitting an online Application for Graduation through StudentAccess. The graduation application deadlines are posted on the School of Social Ecology's Student Services Web site and on the University Registrar's Web site.

How are Latin honors determined?

Of the graduating seniors in the School of Social Ecology (majors in CLS, PSB, SE, US), approximately 12 percent will be awarded Latin honors: 1 percent summa cum laude, 3 percent magna cum laude and 8 percent cum laude. Latin honors is determined and awarded based on a student's cumulative GPA at the end of their final term at UCI. The School of Social Ecology calculates honors eligibility based on historical data. The GPAs of students who received summa, magna and cum laude honors over the past three years have been averaged and those GPA averages used to determine the top 12% of the year’s graduating class.

Cut-offs for Latin honors for the upcoming year will be available in mid-August. Students must adhere to UCI’s academic honesty policy and have no charges of academic dishonesty on their record. In addition, students must complete 72 quarter units in residence at a UC campus by the end of the final term at UCI.

Current cut offs can be found here.

Are academic honors reflected on my offical records?
Yes. If you are successful in earning academic honors, the level of honors you earn will be noted on your official transcript and diploma. Honors will appear on your transcript approximately 8 weeks after you have completed your degree requirements. In addition, those students graduating with academic honors will be recognized in the UCI Commencement Program. Students graduating in the prior summer, fall or winter will have the actual honors noted in the program. Students graduating in the spring will be recognized in the program as eligible for honors (based on their winter cumulative GPA). Students who will complete their degrees in the upcoming summer will have their honors reflected in the next year’s program.

Cap and gown, senior portrait, and commencement ceremony information can be found on the Commencement Web site. More information can be found on UCI's Seniors Web site.

If you are applying for a job or graduate school and are required to provide proof of your degree completion before your degree has been posted to your transcripts, you may request a Degree Verification Letter for this purpose. Please go to our Web site HERE to submit your request.

You may meet with an academic counselor or peer advisor in the Office of Student Services. Also, the Career Center and Graduate Resource Center serve as excellence resources for information on preparing for and applying to graduate programs.

Course Information

If you have completed introductory statistics courses at the University (Math 7 or STATS 7, BIO SCI 7/STATS 8, SocEcol 166 A-B-C, or SOC SCI 9 A-B-C, etc.) or an approved introductory statistics course from a community college, you can waive Social Ecology 13. In these circumstances, you do not have to petition to waive SE13. If you have taken an introductory statistics course at another college or university, please see "HOW DO I PETITION TO WAIVE A COURSE?"

• Directed Studies (SE198) is a course that may be taken for 1-4 units of elective credit. In the School of Social Ecology, SE198 is available for the P/NP grading option ONLY. Its primary purpose is to allow students to have some preliminary exposure to research either by assisting a faculty member or a graduate student. A student may interview subjects, do computer coding, or do library research.

• Special Studies (SE199) can be taken for 1-4 units of elective credit; four units of graded SE199 may be petitioned to be used in lieu of one upper-division Social Ecology course. Generally, students taking a Special Studies course are more deeply involved in research methodologies and either assist a faculty member with his/her ongoing research project or have identified a specific area of interest that may have been only briefly covered in class. Students may also pursue an idea of their own with the assistance of a Social Ecology faculty member.

Once you have begun coursework at UCI and declared a major, you may NOT return to the community college to complete your writing requirements for General Education/Breadth. However, you may elect to take courses to fulfill some or all of your General Education requirements, fulfill elective units, or fulfill lower-division Social Ecology school or major requirements. Check www.assist.org to find out which courses are transferable to UCI and/or satisfy UCI's General Education, school or major requirements. Please see an academic counselor if you wish to take courses outside UCI.

Some important things to remember if you are planning on taking courses at a community college: 1) There is a limit of 105 quarter units (70 semester units) that you may transfer from the community college. 2) Your GPA for courses taken at a community college does not transfer. 3) You are responsible for knowing if you have already taken a course either at UCI or at another community college which is the same as the course you are planning on taking. You will not receive additional credit for the duplicate course.

How do I petition to waive a course?

If you believe that you may have fulfilled a course that is required for your major or general education requirements, you may petition the course. The General Petition (online form) is used for petitions or requests using UCI classes. The Course Waiver Petition is for courses you have taken at another college or university which does not already have an articulated agreement with the University. You must download and print out this petition form and attach all relevant information (e.g., course syllabus, lecture notes, and exams). Please submit the completed form and materials to the Office of Student Services (Social Ecology I, Room 102). All petition processing takes approximately four to six weeks.

If you plan to take courses at a community college in California, you may use www.assist.org to identify which courses will be transferable to the university and can satisfy UCI's General Education requirements. To learn how to use the ASSIST Web site, please click here. If the courses you are planning to take are listed on the ASSIST Web site, you do not have to petition them through our office. Simply send transcripts of the course(s) you took to the Office of Admissions, where your work will be evaluated to determine the unit credit you will receive. When we review your records to complete degree certifications, we will apply coursework taken at a community college to your outstanding requirements, where appropriate.

If you are planning to attend a community college which is not included on ASSIST, or another four-year university for summer session work, please consult with an academic counselor prior to your enrollment. Upon completion of the course(s), have your transcript sent to the Office of Admissions. Also, refer to "How do I petition to waive a course?". Finally, remember to consult an academic counselor regarding residency waiver if you wish to take any of these courses in your last year at UC Irvine (e.g., last 36 units).

GPA and Grading Information

What is academic dishonesty?
Cheating, forgery, dishonest conduct, plagiarism, and collusion of dishonest activities. Please refer to UCI's General Catalogue for more information.

What is my UC GPA?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average and is based on the average of all classes taken. The average of classes taken at UCI (or another UC campus) is your UC GPA. Your UC GPA also includes grades earned form any courses at other UC campuses. Grades earned at other four-year universities or at a community college are not included in your UC GPA.

How do I calculate my GPA?
1) Convert the grades that you received to grade points (see below). 2) In each class, multiply the number of units for the class by the grade points awarded (for example, a grade of 'B+' in a 4-unit class is equal to 3.3 x 4 for a total of 13.2 grade points). 3) Add up the total grade points you have received, and the total number of units attempted in your classes. 4) Divide the total number of grade points by the total number of units; this is your GPA. Your overall GPA is also calculated each quarter and posted on your transcript.

Grades and Grade Points:

A+, A, A- Excellent: A+ = 4.0 A = 4.0 A- = 3.7
B+, B, B- Good: B+ = 3.3 B = 3.0 B- = 2.7
C+, C, C- Average: C+ = 2.3 C = 2.0 C- = 1.7
D+, D, D- Lowest passing grade: D+ = 1.3 D = 1.0 D- = 0.7
F Not passing: F = 0.0

Grades of Pass (P), No Pass (NP), Withdraw (W), Unauthorized Repeat (UR), Incomplete (I), and In Progress (IP) are not included in the computation of the grade point average which appears on the permanent record.

What is the Dean's Honor List?
Notation on transcript for students who achieve a quarterly grade point average of 3.5 or better in a minimum of 12 graded units.

What is academic standing?
In assessing academic standing, the School of Social Ecology reviews student's GPA in four separate areas:

Overall GPA: The grade point average in all of the classes you have taken at UCI and any other UC campus attended. Grades from other schools (i.e., community colleges) are not included.

Major GPA: The grade point average in the upper-division requirements you have taken. This would include the ten upper-division classes from your major plus SE 194W and any additional courses for the major.

School and Major GPA: The grade point average in all classes required for your major. This would include C7, P9, SOCECOL E8, SOCECOL 10, SOCECOL 13, and SOCECOL 194W as well as upper-division classes you have taken in your major.

Quarter GPA: The grade point average of the most recent term in which you received grades.

*In order to remain in good academic standing, all four GPAs listed above must be at least a 2.0.*

What is academic probation?
If your overall, upper-division major, or school and major GPA falls below 2.0 after any one quarter, you will be sent an e-mail notifying you that you are being placed on academic probation until you raise the GPA(s) in delinquent standing to 2.0 or above. For each quarter that you are on academic probation, you will receive an e-mail notification. If you are on academic probation for any four quarters, you may be subject to dismissal from the university.

What is an 'Incomplete'?
An 'I' (or Incomplete) may be assigned by an instructor in place of the grade for a course. This indicates that the student's work is of passing quality, but his/her coursework for the quarter is not complete at the time grades must be submitted. An 'I' turns into a 'F' after 12 months.

What is 'P/NP'?
P/NP is a grading option in which letter grades are not assigned. Only the marks for Pass (equal to a grade of 'C' or better) or Not Pass (equal to 'C-' or below, no course or unit credit earned) are assigned. P/NP marks are not calculated into the student's GPA. Unless a course is designated as P/NP only, students may not take courses toward their school and major requirements P/NP.

What does 'IP' stand for on my degree audit?
'IP' stands for In Progress and its use is restricted to sequential courses. Use of this mark indicates that the grade for the course will be determined and assigned when the entire sequence of courses is complete.

What does 'NR' stand for and what do I do if I receive this as a grade?
An 'NR' indicates that there was No Report of a grade from the instructor. A student who receives an 'NR' for a course should contact the instructor of the course immediately to arrange to have the 'NR' removed or replaced. An 'NR' becomes an 'F' one quarter after it has been assigned. A 'NR' can only be changed by the instructor who originally assigned it.

'UR' is used to flag a course that the Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools determine to be an Unauthorized Repeat of a course the student has already taken and passed at UCI or at another college or university. No unit credit will be given for courses marked 'UR'.

What is a 'W' (Withdrawal) and how does it affect my GPA?
The 'W' notation is assigned to a student's transcript when a course is dropped after the sixth week of the quarter. The 'W' does not negatively impact your GPA, but is a marker used to indicate that the student was enrolled in the class beyond the sixth week. It does not indicate whether the student was passing or failing. It is not advisable to accumulate many 'Ws' on your transcript

When can I repeat a course?
Undergraduate students may choose to repeat classes when grades of 'C-', 'D+', 'D', 'D-', 'F', or NP were received. Degree credit for courses so repeated is given only once, but the grade assigned at each enrollment is permanently recorded. In calculating your GPA, only the most recent grade is used for the first 16 units repeated. If a student repeats more than 16 units, the GPA is based on all additional grades assigned. Classes originally taken for a letter grade CANNOT be repeated on a P/NP basis.