What is ACE?
The Achieving College Excellence program at the School of Social Ecology or ACE, is a program designed to support incoming students' transition to the University of California, Irvine. Particular attention is paid to the successful transition of students entering majors within the School of Social Ecology such as Criminology, Law, and Society, Psychological Science, Social Ecology, and Urban Studies. ACE consist of Mentors who are current students that have excelled in their Social Ecology coursework and are student leaders, Mentees who are new students transitioning from high school, community college, or other higher education institution, and a Coordinator who is a current counselor at the School of Social Ecology.
ACE promotes academic excellence, leadership development, and community engagement to serve the school’s diverse, first-year and transfer student population. Since 2011, the program has positively impacted over 200 mentees and 60 peer mentors. A few former mentees in the program have become peer mentors in the program, while many have pursued on-campus leadership opportunities, while maintaining solid GPAs. Students attest their accomplishments during their first year at UCI and beyond due to their participation in the ACE Social Ecology Program.
How do I become a Mentor?
Do you enjoy helping students navigate the ins and outs of UCI? Are you ready to share your experience with new students and help them succeed at the School of Social Ecology? If so, you should consider becoming an ACE Mentor! As a Mentor, you will have the opportunity to manage a caseload of 3 Mentees. Mentees are new students within the School of Social Ecology and are seeking an opportunity to build their network, become active members of the campus community, and succeed academically.
Being a Mentor is a year long commitment which consists of:
- Meeting with Mentees.
- Collaborating with fellow Mentors to host programs .
- Attend weekly team meetings.
- Providing oversight of our newly renovated Excellence Lab.
- As a Mentor, you get:
- Leadership experience.
- Access to the Excellence Lab.
- Direct support from an Academic Counselor.
- Opportunity to use ACE as your Field Study site.
- $200 quarterly stipend. (Stipend subject to financial aid eligibility.)
- Mentor Application: https://uci.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8zVWvufTfnszrjo
How do I become a Mentee?
Mentees are new Social Ecology students who are transitioning from high school or another higher education institution, such as community college or university, and are interested in receiving support from current Social Ecology students. Mentees receive ongoing support throughout their first full year at UCI from their Mentor and Academic Counselor.
As a Mentee, you get:
- Paired with a Mentor.
- Priority access to academic advising.
- Access to our newly renovated Excellence Lab.
- Opportunities to connect with other Mentees and build your network.
- ACE Programs that consist of topics such as: academic success, social engagement, and leadership.
- Mentee Application: https://uci.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6J2T5jFToD7rhno