Majors and Minors

Degree Requirements

The School of Social Ecology offers either a general interdisciplinary degree in Social Ecology or a more focused experience through degree programs in Criminology, Law and Society; Psychological Science, and Urban Studies. Major requirements for each degree program are described below:

Minor Requirements

Minors offered in the School of Social Ecology include:

A minor consists of a coordinated set of courses (seven or more), which together take a student well beyond the introductory level in an academic area, yet not sufficient to constitute a major. All minors are available to students regardless of their major with the exception that students may not minor in the same topic as their major. Minors are listed on a student's final transcript but are not on the baccalaureate diploma.

For certification in a minor, a student must obtain a minimum overall GPA of at least a 2.0 in all courses required for the minor program. No more than two courses applied to a minor may be taken Pass/Not Pass.

Degree Sheets

Understanding your Major Requirements Videos

These short videos explain major requirements in depth!

Sample Degree Plans

Have you ever wondered what a "typical" four-year plan might look like? Most sample schedules allow room for electives and provide students with choices among the General Education Requirements. These programs should be followed only in consultation with an academic counselor. We encourage students to plan their schedule and then see an academic counselor in Social Ecology's Undergraduate Advising Office. Stop by the Undergraduate Advising Office (Social Ecology Building I, Room 143) or call (949) 824-6861 to schedule an appointment. Sample schedules are below. For a description of undergraduate courses, please visit the UCI catalogue.

Academic Planning

Can't make it to one of our Academic Planning workshops? Review the presentation and resources here:

Career Sheets

For careers relating to each of our respective majors:


Change of Major Information

Students wanting to declare a major, change their major, add additional majors, or drop a major must submit a change of major application online through Student Access. Students may submit a change of major application AFTER they have completed all change of major requirements. Grades must be posted for any change of major requirement before a change of major application will be reviewed. If grades are not posted, the change of major application will be denied. The student may submit a new application once they have completed the change of major requirements. 

Before submitting an application for a change of major within the School of Social Ecology, you must have completed the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (formerly Subject A) (pre lower-division writing) requirement in addition to the pre-requisites for each major, which can be found below:

Students with 120 units or more must also meet the following requirements to change or add a major:

  • Good Academic Standing in requested major. (Cumulative, School and Major GPAs are 2.0 or above).
  • Time to degree is reasonable:



Standing at Admission

Total* number of quarters at UCI - from quarter of entry to certification of degree














*Summer session attendance does not count toward total number of quarters.

Please Note: Completion of the change of major requirements does not guarantee acceptance into any major within the School of Social Ecology. Students enrolled in the Social Ecology (General) major do not have any advantage over other students applying to one of the departmental majors. Courses that satisfy major change requirements must be completed at the time the application is submitted.



For more information on the departments within the School of Social Ecology, consult the following websites:


The School of Social Ecology is not accepting Second Baccalaureate applications.

To find a list of other majors open for Second Baccalaureate applicants, please visit: