Minors offered in the School of Social Ecology include:
- Social Ecology
- Criminology, Law and Society
- Psychological Science
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Urban Studies
A minor consists of a coordinated set of courses (seven or more), which together take a student well beyond the introductory level in an academic area, yet not sufficient to constitute a major. All minors are available to students regardless of their major with the exception that students may not minor in the same topic as their major. Minors are listed on a student's final transcript but are not on the baccalaureate diploma.
For certification in a minor, a student must obtain a minimum overall GPA of at least a 2.0 in all courses required for the minor program. No more than two courses applied to a minor may be taken Pass/Not Pass.
Sample Degree Plans
Have you ever wondered what a "typical" four-year plan might look like? Most sample schedules allow room for electives and provide students with choices among the General Education Requirements. These programs should be followed only in consultation with an academic counselor. We encourage students to plan their schedule and then see an academic counselor in Social Ecology's Undergraduate Advising Office. Stop by the Undergraduate Advising Office (Social Ecology Building I, Room 143) or call (949) 824-6861 to schedule an appointment. Sample schedules are below. For a description of undergraduate courses, please visit the UCI catalogue.
- Criminology, Law and Society (2 Year Plan) (4 Year Plan)
- Psychological Science (2 Year Plan) (4 Year Plan)
- Social Ecology (2 Year Plan) (4 Year Plan)
- Urban Planning and Public Policy (2 Year Plan) (4 Year Plan)
Can't make it to one of our Academic Planning workshops? Review the presentation and resources here:
For careers relating to each of our respective majors:
Change of Major Information
Students wanting to declare a major, change their major, add additional majors, or drop a major must submit a change of major application online through Student Access. Students may submit a change of major application AFTER they have completed all change of major requirements. Grades must be posted for any change of major requirement before a change of major application will be reviewed. If grades are not posted, the change of major application will be denied. The student may submit a new application once they have completed the change of major requirements.
Before submitting an application for a change of major within the School of Social Ecology, you must have completed the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (formerly Subject A) (pre lower-division writing) requirement in addition to the pre-requisites for each major, which can be found below:
- Criminology, Law and Society (B.A.)
- Psychological Science (B.A.)
- Social Ecology (B.A.)
- Urban Studies (B.A.)
Students with 120 units or more must also meet the following requirements to change or add a major:
- Good Academic Standing in requested major. (Cumulative, School and Major GPAs are 2.0 or above).
- Time to degree is reasonable:
Standing at Admission
Total* number of quarters at UCI - from quarter of entry to certification of degree
*Summer session attendance does not count toward total number of quarters.
Please Note: Completion of the change of major requirements does not guarantee acceptance into any major within the School of Social Ecology. Students enrolled in the Social Ecology (General) major do not have any advantage over other students applying to one of the departmental majors. Courses that satisfy major change requirements must be completed at the time the application is submitted.
For more information on the departments within the School of Social Ecology, consult the following websites:
- Department of Criminology, Law and Society
- Department of Psychological Science
- Department of Urban Planning and Public Policy
The School of Social Ecology is currently accepting Second Baccalaureate applicants for Criminology, Law and Society, Psychological Science, Social Ecology, and Urban Studies. Students who have already received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and are interested in pursuing a second bachelor’s degree in another area of study may be considered for admission as Second Baccalaureate candidates.
In order to qualify for admission as a second baccalaureate, you must meet eligibility requirements.
Eligibility requirements for a second baccalaureate in the School of Social Ecology:
- Attended UCI for at least 1 quarter and received your bachelor’s degree from a 4 year accredited institution or received your first bachelor’s degree from UCI.
- Meet Change of Major requirements.
- Submit a readmission application. Please take note of the Registrar’s Readmission Deadlines.
If admitted, 2nd B.A. students are subject to the following regulations in Social Ecology:
- Degree requirements must be completed in six quarters of attendance, excluding summers.
- Degree requirements include Major AND School requirements
- You may only enroll in courses that apply toward the major to which you were admitted.
Note: Meeting the minimum required prerequisites does NOT guarantee admission.
If admitted, you must also submit all transcripts from any institutions attended while away from UCI.
For questions about the second baccalaureate application process, please email email@example.com.
To find a list of other majors open for Second Baccalaureate applicants, please visit: