Students wanting to declare a major, change their major, add additional majors, or drop a major must submit a change of major application online through Student Access.  Students may submit a change of major application AFTER they have completed all pre-requisites. Grades must be posted for any pre-requisite courses before a change of major application will be reviewed. If grades are not posted, the change of major application will be denied.  The student may submit a new application once they have completed the pre-requisites.

Before submitting an application for a change of major within the School of Social Ecology, you must have completed the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement (formerly Subject A) (pre lower-division writing) requirement in addition to the pre-requisites for each major, which can be found below:

Students with 120 units or more must also meet the following requirements to change or add a major:

  • Good Academic Standing in requested major. (Cumulative, School and Major GPAs are 2.0 or above).
  • Time to degree is reasonable:

Standing at Admission

Total* number of quarters at UCI - from quarter of entry to certification of degree














*Summer session attendance does not count toward total number of quarters.

Please Note: Completion of the change of major requirements does not guarantee acceptance into any major within the School of Social Ecology or the College of Health Sciences. Students enrolled in the Social Ecology (General) major do not have any advantage over other students applying to one of the departmental majors. Courses that satisfy major change requirements must be completed at the time the application is submitted.

For more information on the departments within the School of Social Ecology, consult the following websites:



The School of Social Ecology is NOT accepting Second Baccalaureate applicants for any of the majors within the school at this time.

To find a list of majors open for Second Baccalaureate applicants, please visit: