Welcome to the School of Social Ecology at the University of California, Irvine!
Congratulations on choosing to pursue your education at UC Irvine. As a new transfer student, it is important to review the information below, which will assist you in navigating UCI's academic climate and assist you throughout your academic career with our campus.
Your First Three Steps
a) Complete UCI lower division general education courses
b) Clear the lower division writing requirement and provide access to upper division writing courses.
Without UC IGETC certification, you MUST complete UCI’s General Education requirements OR request a GE Evaluation
We encourage you to attend an Academic Planning Workshop to learn how to read DegreeWorks and plan your courses. If you have specific questions, please visit our office for a same day appointment.
Utilize Your Resources
- This handy guide will explain all the key elements you need to begin your educational journey at UCI.
- These pre-recorded workshops will help you better understand topics such as academic planning, getting involved in research, deciding to double major, and more.
- This workshop and the accompanying Transfer Roadmap are designed specifically with you in mind!
- Interested in starting to learn about Field Study? Explore the Field Study website and begin your planning process!
- Learn about different transfer students' experience at UCI.
- LARC connects "what to learn" with "how to learn" in a student-centered, collaborative learning experience.
- Services such as: Disability Center, Child Care Services, Student Health Center, and Counseling Center.
- FRESH Basic Needs Hub is a student-initiated effort that promotes equitable access to basic needs through student empowerment, community collaboration, and institutional integration.
- Explore UCI's Study Abroad Center to learn more about opportunities to study abroad, including locations, the process, and how to begin planning.
Make the most of your time at UCI
Feeling overwhelmed? Below are a few things to consider each year:
Focus on your academics! Adjusting to the quarter system can be difficult and requires constant focus and attention on your academics throughout the quarter. Consider taking only 12-13 units your first quarter.
Attend Office Hours on a regular basis.
Submit your official UC IGETC (see step 2 above).
Attend a Field Study workshop to understand the steps for preparing for Field Study.
Consider applying for Social Ecology Honors or Advanced Field Study. Applications for SE Honors open in Spring quarter and applications for Advanced Field Study open in Spring quarter for the following academic year.
Prepare for Life After UCI
Complete Field Study (ideally in the Fall or Winter quarter).
Complete all degree requirements.
Continue to engage in research.
Consider running for a leadership role in a club or organization.
Gain experience in your field of interest. Conduct informational interviews, engage in internships, and strategically choose jobs that will help you explore your interests as much as possible.
Take graduate school exams and submit graduate school applications, if applicable.
Take your resume and cover letter to the Division of Career Pathways for review.
As a transfer student, you are eligible to remain at UCI for nine quarters (which does not include Summer Session).
Some students choose to remain for a third year to finish their degree requirements.
If you are interested in staying for a third year, consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine if you are eligible for financial aid for a third year.